Singapore Student Learning Space (SLS) – Guide
The Student Learning Space (SLS) is an innovative online platform crafted by the Ministry of Education (MOE) and GovTech in Singapore. Serving as a centralized hub, the SLS empowers students with seamless access to diverse learning resources, collaboration opportunities with peers and educators, and engaging interactive activities. Its primary objective is to enrich traditional classroom teaching by offering a dynamic digital environment for in-depth exploration of various subjects. The platform provides an extensive range of resources, including e-books, videos, interactive simulations, and online assessments. Through SLS, students engage in peer and teacher interactions, fostering a culture of active and collaborative learning.
Teachers leverage SLS for lesson delivery, task assignment, and feedback provision. Learning becomes personalized and adaptable, granting students the freedom to access materials at their own pace and from any location with internet connectivity. With its versatile features, SLS caters to various learning needs, ensuring a comprehensive and dynamic learning experience that equips students with vital 21st-century skills.
Navigating SLS Access
Accessing the Singapore Student Learning Space (SLS) is both straightforward and convenient. Students have the option to visit the SLS website or download the dedicated SLS application on their devices, such as PCs or iPads.
Login to the portal via web link
School-provided login credentials serve as a secure gateway, verifying students as registered users and granting access to a rich array of platform features and resources. Recent enhancements offer a flexible authentication process, allowing students to effortlessly log in using either their SLS credentials or the MIMS (MOE Identity Management System) option. This dual-login capability ensures a seamless and convenient connection to the SLS platform, eliminating any potential hassles.
Empowering Learning with SLS
The Student Learning Space (SLS) is meticulously designed to cater to the unique educational needs of students and teachers in Singapore. Among its notable features is the ability for students to learn at their own pace. Empowered by a wealth of resources, students can focus on specific areas for improvement and access relevant materials and simulations. These interactive simulations provide an immersive and captivating virtual learning experience. Additionally, the SLS encourages collaborative learning through dedicated discussion forums, fostering meaningful dialogues among peers and educators. This promotes a sense of community and facilitates the exchange of ideas. Moreover, the SLS equips teachers with a vital tool for monitoring student progress. Teachers can create tasks, assess performance, and provide timely feedback, all within the platform.
To fully harness the capabilities of the Learning Management System (LMS), students require dedicated Student Learning Space (SLS) accounts. This account application empowers students to seamlessly engage with educational software, access course materials, and actively participate in virtual classrooms. By granting students access to their SLS accounts, they gain the opportunity to explore a vast repository of educational resources, collaborate with peers, and establish connections with their teachers. This convenient and intuitive access to the virtual learning environment empowers students to maximize their learning potential.
Advantages of Embracing SLS
Student Learning Systems (SLS), also referred to as Singapore Student Learning Spaces, offer a multitude of advantages within the realm of education. One notable benefit is the platform’s ability to facilitate effective learning for both teachers and students. SLS empowers teachers to tailor lessons and provide real-time feedback, promoting personalized progress.
The platform caters to individual student needs by offering engaging interactive learning experiences. Incorporating multimedia elements and interactive activities, SLS encourages students to interact with content and deepen their understanding. Furthermore, SLS facilitates seamless communication between teachers and students through forums and chat options, creating an environment where students can seek immediate clarification and assistance. Additionally, SLS empowers students to explore topics beyond the curriculum, fostering curiosity and a lifelong love for learning.
-SLS use can be expanded beyond in-class T&L (eg. HBL assignments, out-of-class Forum discussions, e-Assessments, putting up Class Group Resources for student's self-study). -Set clear termly targets for the use of SLS and monitor usage through SLS School Admins. One or more SLS School Admins could be appointed in each department.
Challenges of Embracing SLS
While the Student Learning Space (SLS) offers numerous advantages, there are also notable challenges associated with its adoption:
1. Digital Divide: Not all students have access to the necessary digital devices, such as laptops or tablets, required for effective participation in online learning. This digital divide can lead to disparities in access to educational resources and opportunities.
2. Eye Strain and Health Concerns: Prolonged screen time and continuous exposure to electronic devices can lead to eye strain and other health issues. Excessive screen time may adversely affect eye health and contribute to vision problems.
3. Postural Strain: Extended periods of sitting in front of a computer or tablet can lead to poor posture and physical discomfort. This can potentially result in musculoskeletal issues and other posture-related health problems.
4. Limited Social Interaction: Overreliance on digital platforms for learning may limit face-to-face social interactions. Reduced in-person communication can impact students’ social skills, interpersonal relationships, and ability to engage effectively in real-world conversations.
5. Communication Skills: While SLS offers various communication tools, the absence of traditional face-to-face communication can hinder the development of effective verbal communication skills. Students may miss out on opportunities to practice and refine their speaking and listening abilities.
6. Teacher Workload: Implementing and managing online learning platforms like SLS can place additional workload on teachers. They need to prepare and adapt materials for the digital environment, which may require extra time and effort.
7. Technical Challenges: Technical glitches, connectivity issues such as WiFi connection, and software compatibility (Zoom software) problems can disrupt the learning experience and create frustration for both students and teachers.
8. Distractions and Multitasking: Online learning environments often come with inherent challenges, including the potential for distractions that can impede focused and effective learning. Students might find themselves pulled towards multitasking or indulging in unrelated online activities, like surfing the internet or watching videos on platforms such as YouTube or TikTok, when they should be concentrating on their study sessions. These distractions can undermine the quality of learning and hinder academic progress.
9. Isolation and Motivation: Lack of physical interaction with peers and instructors can lead to feelings of isolation. Students may also struggle with self-motivation in the absence of in-person interactions and traditional classroom dynamics.
While the Student Learning Space (SLS) offers a wealth of educational opportunities, it’s important to address and mitigate these challenges to ensure a well-rounded and effective learning experience for all students.
How To Reset SLS Password:
We can reset SLS password with the following methods:
- Reset Password with a Password Reset Link
- Reset Password by Answering Security Questions
Detail steps for method #1 : Reset password with a Password Reset Link:
- From the main login page, click Login With SLS.
- Click Forgot Password.
- Enter your SLS Username.
- Click Submit.
- An email with the password reset link will be sent to your email address.
- Click the reset password link in the email.
- The link is valid for 10 minutes.
- If the link has expired, you can request another by repeating the steps above.
- Password should contain at least 12 characters or more using a combination of letters and numbers.
- Example of a good password: 0nWardsSg2023slS (combinations of letters, Uppercase and numbers)
Detail steps for method #2 : Reset Password by Answering Security Questions:
- From the main login page, click Login With SLS.
- Click Forgot Password.
- Enter your SLS Username.
- Click Submit.
- Select the radio button for Answering my security questions and click Submit.Note: You will be prompted only if you have set a verified alternate email. Otherwise, you will be brought directly to the Security Questions page.
- On the Security Questions page, enter the answers to the security questions.Note: You must answer all questions correctly before you can reset your password.
- Click Submit.
Why should schools use SLS in a structured way?
Standardizing the tools, expectations and learning data allows teachers and students to benefit from economies of scale at the department, school and system level.
Why should the school use SLS rather than other LMSs?
SLS is now a mature system that is able to do most of what other LMSs are able to do, if not more. Unlike other LMSs, it provides schools with the capability to synergize with MOE Headquarter and other schools. other reason:
- 1) Daily syncing with MIMS and SC
- 2) Teachers can easily find shared resources in CG based on the same content maps.
- 3) Learning data tagged to these content maps can be used to inform the school’s T&L reviews in ways that are aligned to the national curriculum and exam requirements.
Glossary of Terms:
AI - Artificial Intelligence
ALP - Applied Learning Programme
CG - Community Gallery
FRQ - Free-Response question
HBL - Home-Based Learning
SC - School Cockpit
SOW - Scheme of Work
T&L - Teaching and Learning
WA - Weighted Assessment
LMS - Learning Management System
LO - Learning Outcomes
MIMS - MOE Identity Management System
PD - Professional Development
QTI - Question and Test Interoperability
SLS new features:
The Student Learning Space (SLS) is on a journey of continuous improvement, with several enhanced features introduced in June 2023 to further elevate the learning experience:
Slider in MCQ & Poll in Lessons
Users are able to select their options via a Slider in MCQ & Poll in lessons.
Users are able to view their options in a Slider in MCQ & Poll in Print-Friendly View
Pinned Class Groups
Users are able to access their pinned Class Groups (up to 12) from the left navigation menu.
SLS Resource Cards are revamped to ensure better information display and ease of use.
This feature aims to provide an alternative method for users to organise their tasks (e.g assignments) and resources within SLS based on time and events (e.g school periods).
Users are able to create and manage their events onto their planner and set recurring events.
Users are also able to attach Tasks and Resources to the events.
Teachers are able to import events into their calendar.
Generalising File Upload UI
Users can experience an improved and generalised file upload flow.
Users can preview image before uploading.
Users can find Announcements, subsumed under Notifications, and displayed in a single-listing.
Users will be able to flag Announcements and mark Announcements as read or unread.
Users can view all Class Group notifications and announcements in the Class Group Notification tab.
Teachers can send announcements to selected students across different Class Groups.
Class Forum Enhancement
Teacher is able to create multiple Forum Topic for each class group.
Only Owners/Co-Teachers can create/edit/delete Forum Topic.
Owners/Co-Teachers can manage Forum and Topic settings to grant Students and Observers permission to create posts under Forum Topics.
In response to the repercussions of the pandemic and the disruptions caused by the Singapore circuit breaker measures, the Ministry of Education (MOE) has introduced a strategic contingency plan to address similar challenges in the future. The cornerstone of this initiative is the Student Learning Space (SLS), which has emerged as a resilient solution capable of effectively handling unprecedented situations such as the pandemic lock down.
As a forward-looking approach, the SLS is designed to be future-proof, equipped to navigate the complexities of potential future pandemics. The experiences garnered during the pandemic have driven the evolution of the SLS into a comprehensive and indispensable method of teaching and learning. This visionary shift positions the SLS as the de facto approach for education during any potential future crisis, ensuring that learning remains uninterrupted.
The SLS’s trajectory towards continuous improvement reaffirms its commitment to providing an exceptional learning experience. By consistently refining its features and functionalities, the SLS aims to stay ahead of evolving educational needs and technological advancements. This relentless pursuit of enhancement ensures that students, educators, and parents can rely on the system as a trusted and robust platform.
In this paradigm shift, the SLS emerges as a one-stop e-digital resource that encapsulates the entirety of a student’s educational journey. It offers a diverse range of resources, tools, and interactive content that cater to various learning styles and preferences. The Singapore Student Learning Space empowers every school with the means to deliver high-quality education seamlessly, regardless of physical constraints.
The remarkable achievements of the SLS, particularly during times of adversity, firmly establish its position as an innovative leader in the realm of education. Bolstered by the visionary approach of the Ministry of Education (MOE), with the SLS at its forefront, there is a clear and unwavering dedication to fostering a generation that is well-prepared for the challenges of tomorrow. As the SLS undergoes continuous transformation and adjustment, it serves as a true embodiment of MOE’s commitment to maintaining a dynamic, inclusive, and resilient educational landscape. This, in turn, lays the foundation for a future that is brighter and more adaptable for the young minds of Singapore, ensuring their readiness to thrive in an ever-changing world.